A 31-year-old woman who was hit by a bus leaving Toast Martinborough was to be released from Wellington Hospital yesterday afternoon.
The Belmont festivalgoer was hit by a bus about 6pm on Sunday on Kitchener St, and was taken by ambulance to Greytown and then flown to Wellington with suspected skull fractures and internal injuries.
Senior Sergeant Carolyn Watson of Masterton police said the woman was likely to leave hospital yesterday with just a concussion and cuts and bruises.
She would be interviewed in coming days, said Ms Watson.
Chief executive of Mana and Newlands Coach Services Geoff Norman said initial reports indicate there were no issues with the coach or the driver that contributed to the accident.
"We are concerned that someone has been injured at Toast Martinborough and that one of our coaches was involved. The driver of the coach was upset at the accident and has been offered victim support."
Mr Norman said the coach had been hired privately and was returning to Wellington when it hit the woman, near Palliser Estate Wines vineyard.
Upon police request, the bus has a full certificate of fitness inspection today and had passed an inspection on November 7.
Any review of traffic and pedestrian management at Toast Martinborough was a matter for police and the event organisers, said Mr Norman.
Toast Martinborough organisers have extended their best wishes to the woman and chairman Richard Riddiford said they were delighted to hear her injuries were not serious.
Mr Riddiford noted that the bus had been chartered privately and that the accident happened well outside the festival circuit.
"While we do everything we can to ensure a safe and enjoyable day for all 10,000 Toast Martinborough ticketholders, some things are simply beyond our control," he said.
"This was a terrible conclusion to what had probably been a fantastic day."